Legislative Update: January 13
News from the House of Representatives
House Legislative Oversight Committee
On Tuesday the House Legislative Oversight Committee informed the Speaker that the Committee will review the following agencies during 2017 – The Department of Disabilities and Special Needs, the South Carolina Election Commission, the Human Affairs Commission, and John de la Howe School.
The Committee has several ongoing studies of the following agencies – the Department of Juvenile Justice, the State Transportation Infrastructure Bank, the Department of Public Safety, the Treasurer’s Office, the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Archives and History, the Department of Health and Environmental Control, the Law Enforcement Training Council, the Criminal Justice Academy, and the Retirement System Investment Commission.
The agency has a seven year review cycle to review at least 47 state agencies.
House Budget Schedule
The House Ways and Means Committee has released the following tentative schedule for budget deliberations.
- January 17-19: Budget Subcommittee Meetings
- January 24-26: Budget Subcommittee Meetings
- January 31-February 2: Budget Subcommittee Meetings
- February 7-9: Budget Subcommittee Meetings
- February 14-16: Proviso Subcommittee Meeting
- February 20-23: Full Ways & Means Committee Budget Deliberations
- February 28-March 2: Appropriation Bill Printed
- March 7-9: Printed Appropriation Bill placed on House Members’ desks
- March 13-16: House Floor Budget Deliberations
News from the Senate
The Senate voted on Tuesday to meet in perfunctory session until Tuesday, January 24 to allow committees and subcommittees extra time to meet. The Senate will return in statewide session at 2:00pm on Tuesday, January 24.